Monday, June 8, 2015

2012 Sábrego Wine Review




From the Valdeorras region of Spain (Northwest corner) Sábrego is a white wine made from Godello. I don’t believe that I’ve ever tried Godello before, which is most unfortunate, but I’m glad to have stumbled on it now. 

The soil from which it grows is reflected in its delightful minerality. (Sábrego is a local term for the areas granite soil.) On the nose; green apple, pear, spice and what struck me as the scent of popcorn butter – you know the powdered kind (but in a good way). Having been fermented in stainless tanks, it is lively on the tongue yet sturdy and has a long juicy finish. 

This is a wonderful wine to enjoy by the glass with a cheese plate but also with shellfish. We enjoyed it with Lobster Risotto and I think it would be fabulous with my Lobster BLT Salad. For me, this wine just begs for shellfish but could work with light chicken dishes as well. For recipe pairings, click the links below.



























No comments:

Post a Comment