Monday, June 8, 2015

2011 Sivi Pinot Populus Wine Review




So I happened into a liquor store I've never shopped before in search of a liqueur for a recipe (which they didn't have in stock) but as long as I was there, I decided to peruse the wine selection. Today’s Wine Wednesday feature the 2011 Sivi Pinot Populus seemed to practically jump off the shelf – well not really, but the label wouldn't allow me to leave without it. 

You see, on the label I saw the map of Slovenia. I've been reading about Slovenian wines but haven’t been able to find much of a selection, well until now, any, in stores. My ancestors on my Father’s side were immigrants from Slovenia and especially during the holiday season we enjoy Slovenian dishes and traditions. So of course, I had to try this. 

Before trying though I had to remind myself that it would be unfair to judge all Slovenian wines by my opinion of this one wine – sort of like judging any other region by a single bottle. Of course I wanted desperately to like it. 

It should be noted that the Vipava Valley (Slovenia) is about 20 miles from the Friuli-Venezia Giulia region, Northeastern Italy’s most famous region for Pinot Grigio. Sivi Pinot Populus translates as “Pinot Grigio for the People”. So what’s not to like?

With that, I poured. First off, the color was a very dark gold - darker than what I’m used to in a Pinot Grigio In fact, almost the color of a lager; yes beer, though this was wine. On the nose - notes of vanilla and slightly floral. Upon tasting, it had a juicy finish but yet was a little chalky and not as lively as I would've liked. I've read about wine aging in cement lined vats and that is what came to mind when I experienced the chalkiness - it seemed even more neutral than a wine fermented in stainless - as if it had done time in cement. 


We had this with an Alfredo pasta dish and I think it would go well with a cream soup also shellfish – mostly shrimp, scallops and lobster. Though I’d likely reach for other wines before this one, my curiosity for Slovenian wines both white and red remains. Wine tasting in Slovenia ….. bucket list…….

To print or save recipe pairing suggestions, click the links below:

Fettuccine Alfredo with Scallops













Cream of Chicken and Wild Rice Soup














No comments:

Post a Comment