Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Kim Crawford Spitfire Sauvignon Blanc 2013



Being a long time fan of Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc, when I saw the 2013 small parcels single vineyard “Spitfire” I couldn’t resist.  Though I have to admit, I did pause a minute to think about the purchase.  At almost double the price of what I know and love from them, I wondered could they make it better, would it justify the price?

From the Marlborough region of New Zealand, the name Spitfire, is likely a nod to the World War II aircraft of the same name and the grapes for this wine were grown on what was formerly an air force training base.

The color, was a beautiful straw yellow. On the nose,  it was more complex than what I'm used to with peach, tropical fruit and spice, a more prevalent minerality,  less grapefruit and subtle grassy notes.

On the palate, it seemed sturdier - a bit reigned in. This however is not a bad thing. The structure was noticeable and worth a few extra dollars by itself.  I loved how the wine evolved. The complexity was on the palate as well.  In addition to minerality and citrus notes, there was an herbal or almost green bell pepper note – like when the growing season has been dry and green pepper wants to be hot, but not as hot as a jalapeno or Serrano, just hot for a green bell pepper - a hint of that was most enjoyable.

If you enjoy Kim Crawford, I’d invite you to A/B these two wines.  It was great fun and yes, justified the price. It’s not to say this has replaced the other for me, it’s not necessarily better, just a different experience that I’m anxious to repeat.

We enjoyed this with Grilled Swordfish with Summer Succotash.  I also think it would be great with Lobster Risotto. To print or save the recipes, click the links below. 



























No comments:

Post a Comment