Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Cantine Di Dolianova Dolia Vermentino Di Sardegna (2014) Wine Review



Happy Wine Wednesday! I'm back. I chose to give up wine as my Lenten sacrifice  and decided during that time I would refrain from writing about it as well.

If I had to choose (thankfully I don't), I tend to prefer white wine, crisp and dry and also enjoy exploring alternative whites. One I particularly like is Vermentino. If you like Sauvignon Blanc or Albariño, I would encourage you to try Vermentino.

Half of all Vermentino comes from the Italian island of Sardinia as does this weeks featured wine, the 2014 Cantine Di Dolianova Dolia Vermentino Di Sardegna.

There are generally two styles of Vermentino; one more silky and creamy and the other more crisp and floral. This weeks feature is more like the first and probably the style I prefer, especially with food as pairing options are a little broader.

On the nose, notes of pear and honey, herbs and limestone. On the palate, citrus with a subtle salinity perhaps from the sea air, a touch of pepper on the finish and that slightly silky mouthfeel - the result of malolactic fermentation.

Vermentino is my go-to pairing choice with Mexican food, especially seafood or chicken based dishes. Try with Grilled Squid Tacos or Tempura Fish Tacos. Click the links below to print or save the recipe pairing suggestions.

















No comments:

Post a Comment