Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Joel Gott Oregon Pinot Gris (2015) Wine Review


As I poured this week’s Wine Wednesday feature, the 2015 Joel Gott Oregon Pinot Gris, I paused a moment when I saw the date and thought to myself, "wow, this is a young wine".  Then I thought again and realized, it’s 2017.  Where does the time go?  Happy New Year!
I tend to be quite fond of Willamette Valley (OR) Pinot Gris and was anxious to try this one. For those that may not be familiar, Pinot Gris is the same varietal as Pinot Grigio but depending on where the grape is grown and the where the wine is produced, the name will vary. I tend to prefer the terroir and the treatment of the Pacific NW style over the widely known Italian style Pinot Grigio. The varietal is French in origin where it is also referred to as Pinot Gris.

On the nose were notes of pear and honey. I found it to be well balanced with a slightly creamy viscosity - a medium bodied white wine. On the finish was more pear, subtle minerality and a crisp finish with faint floral notes on the palate. I think this is the perfect white wine for anyone who doesn’t want something too sweet or too dry. It owns the middle and as a result is great for food pairing and at $14.99, great for sharing too.

We enjoyed this one night with a cheese plate and an assortment of olives I picked up locally at the Olive Mill and the next night with Chicken Pot Pie.

Click the link below for the recipe, or watch my short recipe video for Chicken Pot Pie.









No comments:

Post a Comment