Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Cantina Zaccagnini Montepulciano d' Abruzzo (2011) Wine Review



To my knowledge, I don’t have a drop of Italian blood running through my veins but something seems to come over me when I enjoy a glass of Montepulciano d’ Abruzzo.  Just saying the words is hard to do without a contrived Italian accent.

Today’s Wine Wednesday feature is the 2011 Cantina Zaccagnini Montepulciano d’ Abruzzo. Montepulciano is the name of the grape varietal (and also a town in Southern Tuscany). Abruzzo is the wine region where today’s feature is from, located (if you can picture it) about mid calf on the boot of the Italian Peninsula.  The pronunciation, say it with me and don’t forget the accent, is mon tae pul chee AH noh dah BRUTE so. Notice the words on the bottle “il vino dal tralcetto”. This translates as “the wine from the little bunch”.  A nice branding/marketing touch is the addition of a small twig of grapevine fastened to each bottle.

Being a lover of great Chianti, I’m reminded I should reach for Montepulciano more often.  I made homemade marinara the other day and used it in the sauce where I normally use Chianti. With a price point of around $15 I had no reservations (only cook with wine you want to drink) and we enjoyed the rest with the sauce and Italian sausage over spaghetti for dinner that night. 

On the nose; plum, black cherry, a touch of cedar, vanilla and as you slowly breathe in (don’t stop, keep inhaling until you almost can’t anymore) a wonderful cloak of violet.  On the palate; fruit forward with a pleasant acidity and mild to moderate tannins. I found it a little less edgy than most Chianti in this price point but also perhaps a little more one note on the palate with not a lot of evolution.  Sip on this by itself too.  I think it’s a great summer red. Serve at about 62° Fahrenheit.

Try with appetizers like my Grilled Bruschetta or with Greek inspired dishes like my Portobello Pitas with Bulgur Salad. Click the links below to print or save the recipes. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment