Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Airlie 7 (2011) Wine Review



Whenever someone says to me, “I don’t like wine”, my response is, “then you haven’t tried the right one yet!” However, I understand completely where they are coming from because at one point, I felt the same way. It was at a wine tasting in Oregon where I tried that pivotal wine for me, the one that turned me into an appreciator of wine and fueled my curiosity for further exploration.  That wine, was Evolution by Sokol Blosser – a blend of 9 varietals . Up until then I had tried mostly single varietal wines and sort of walked aimlessly into a wine shop hoping for the best. That single taste of Evolution put me on a path. I wanted to try all 9 of those varietals – some I was unfamiliar with.  This then lead to greater discovery and the realization that I did like wine and it guided me toward the types of wine I prefer. See my video on this blog or at this link: Discovering Wine Specifically Blends.

This week’s Wine Wednesday feature brought that momentous occasion back to mind. The 2011 Airlie 7 is also an Oregon wine and also a blend, this one a blend of 7 different varietals.  It is unique but equally brilliant as if it was blended specifically to suite my taste. As I tasted, I attempted to guess the varietals and managed to guess all but one. Ironically, the one I didn’t guess, the one I’m least familiar with, is the one that is the majority of the blend, Müller Thurgau. Müller Thurgau is a cross of Riesling and Madeleine Royale. I should mention that "7" is a blend of 7 different varietals but also 7 different wines. The approach here is that each of the 7 is fermented separately and made into a single varietal prior to blending.

The other varietals in order of most to least are Pinot Gris, Viognier, Gewürtztraminer, Riesling, Chardonnay and Pinot Blanc.  On the nose, the scent of pineapple, orange blossom, stone fruit and herbal notes. On the palate, juicy well balanced acidity, spice and a crisp clean finish.  The things that stood out to me most were the subtle sweetness (though this is not a sweet wine) a lovely acidity, the spice that I’ve come to associate with Gewürtztraminer and the herbal notes I love in Viognier. The Chardonnay along with the Viognier likely contributes largely to the structure and being a huge fan of Oregon Pinot Gris, I love everything it brings to the table.

It should be mentioned that each vintage of this wine is unique. I’ve noticed the blend for 2014 is slightly different and I’m anxious to explore that as well.

Like my first love, Evolution, this wine has now found a special place in my heart and a permanent position in my wine fridge! It’s one I’ll reach for when I just want to sip on a glass of wine, but also an extremely versatile choice for food pairing and what I perceive as a crowd pleaser.  This may be my Thanksgiving 2016 choice! I’ll enjoy it a few times between now and then just to be sure.  We honestly, didn’t pair this with anything this time. We enjoyed it by itself as we relaxed by the pool one evening. I’m anxious to try it with Spicy Chicken Lettuce Wraps or Tempura Fish Tacos as well as Grilled Shrimp with Wasabi Remoulade. The subtle sweetness should make this a great pairing with spicy foods - thus Thanksgiving with the various spices and richness in all those magnificent side dishes. 

Click the links below to print or save the recipe pairing suggestions.































No comments:

Post a Comment