Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Remy Pannier Rosé ď Anjou 2014 Wine Review



“The only thing appealing about Rosé is its color”. While at a wine tasting event this past weekend this is what another lady in attendance said when the person conducting the tasting poured a Rosé. It set me back when the person conducting the tasting agreed with her. GASP! How unfair, how untrue! If you’ve followed my blog for a while, you’re aware that in the past I too have been judgmental when it comes to Rosé which for the longest time would conjure up memories of my Grandmother’s holiday wine choice of Paul Masson sold in a carafe shaped bottle with a metal lid. I still shudder at the thought.

In recent years I’ve made a point to explore Rosé wines and though the color is quite lovely, I've found it’s not just another pretty face. I’ve realized one shouldn’t paint with so wide a brush. Actually, some of you may have fond memories of Paul Masson.  I’ve learned Rosé wines vary greatly just like red or white and can be comprised of many different varietals other than Zinfandel.

As I stood at the tasting, I was thinking about this week’s Wine Wednesday feature that I had just enjoyed the night before. The 2014 Remy Pannier Rosé ď Anjou is from the Loire Valley of France. The wine takes its name from its location of origin, Anjou the former French county. This wine is a blend of 70% Grolleau, 20% Gamay and 10% Cabernet Franc. Though all are dark skinned grapes the salmon color of this wine is likely achieved by the skin contact method where the juice is exposed to the dark skins for a limited period of time.

This is an off-dry wine with notes of strawberry and citrus blossom and a pronounced minerality. It starts slightly sweet on the tongue and finishes with a lovely crisp acidity. Because of the minerality I think it would make a great pairing with fish or shellfish and because it is off-dry it could be wonderful with spicy dishes.  We enjoyed it with Parmesan Encrusted Tilapia. Try it with Grilled Squid Tacos with Pineapple Slaw and a spicy Thai Remoulade. Click the links below to print or save the recipe pairing suggestions. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment