Wednesday, December 9, 2015

La Pincoya Sauvignon Blanc (2014) Wine Review


What is the most popular wine grape varietal worldwide? Sometimes I think about that when enjoying a great wine.  What if I had to choose just one varietal to enjoy for the rest of my life, what would it be? Though I doubt it would ever come to that, if I had to make a choice, for me it would be Sauvignon Blanc.  You’ve seen me review several and in general those from the Marlborough region of New Zealand populate the top of my list. Today’s Wine Wednesday feature the 2014 La Pincoya Sauvignon Blanc is a Chilean Sauvignon Blanc from the San Antonio Valley region. 

The wine is named after Pincoya a mythological female water spirit of the Chilotan Seas who is believed to control the abundance of fish and seafood to the area with her ritual dance.  If she faces the sea during her dance there will be an abundance and  if she faces the mountains with her back to the sea there will be a shortage. Ironically, or maybe not, this wine is the perfect pairing for fish and seafood.

On the nose, slightly floral with notes of honey and citrus and on the palate, a balanced acidity and also a minerality and herbaceousness - different than the New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs - but what will cause me to reach for this one again when wine shopping. I don’t believe I’ve ever had a Chilean Sauvignon Blanc before and I’m certainly glad I tried this one. I’m reminded how a varietal can vary depending on the terroir and if I was limited to only one varietal I think these differences in time would become even more discernible and pronounced. For recipe pairings try Tempura Fish Tacos and Grilled Shrimp with Wasabi Remoulade. Now, to answer the question I opened with.... the most popular wine grape varietal worldwide is Cabernet Sauvignon followed in second place by Merlot. My favorite, came in at number 8! Click the links below to print or save the recipe pairing suggestions. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment